Fabric Dyeing

Over the Christmas break I got organized to dye some fabric for an upcoming quilt project.  AQS offers an online class by Cindy Lohbeck that I purchased.  I have been doing my own tye dyes for years, so I already had most of the supplies.  I just got some Kona white fabric that was already PFD (prepared for dye) and tore it into fat quarters.  I used 9 yards of fabric to get a whole rainbow palette.  I won't reveal all the "secrets" but you start with 3 dyes and blend them to create 12 colors.  You then dye the fabric in each color and set it with soda ash.

After the thorough rinsing and a trip thru the washer and dryer and iron you get this:





The bottom fabrics were made using a blend of the leftover dye concentrates.  I also made some black fabric using a separate dye.  It probably took 6 hours for the whole process, but there was some waiting time involved.  I want to buy more fabric by the bolt next time, and also try some other fabrics.

Comments

Popular Posts